How to sponsor your family for Canadian immigration

How to sponsor your family for Canadian immigration

Family class immigration is the second largest category of newcomers under Canada’s Immigration Levels Plan.


In 2022, Canada aims to welcome 105,000 newcomers under family class: 25,000 from the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) and 80,000 Spouses, Partners, and Children.

Can I be a sponsor?

To sponsor a family member, you must demonstrate to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that you are:

Who can I sponsor?

  • Spouses, common-law partners, and conjugal partners
  • children
  • parents
  • grandparents

Canadians can only sponsor relatives like brothers, sisters, aunts or uncles in very specific situations.

How do I sponsor my spouse or partner?

You and your spouse may either apply as an inland applicant or an outland applicant. Inland applicants go through the sponsorship process in Canada, while outland applicants live outside the country. Only Canadian citizens can live with their foreign spouses outside of Canada throughout the sponsorship process. Permanent residents taking the outland option must remain in Canada and their spouse outside of Canada while the application is processing.

The application process will require you to submit the following two applications at the same time:

  • Your application to sponsor your spouse or partner
  • Your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application

If you are applying as an inland applicant, you may also submit an application for a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) along with your application.

How do I sponsor my child for Canadian immigration?

In order to sponsor your child, you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident aged 18 or older, and prove that you can financially provide for your basic needs as well as those of your child.

Your child may be eligible for sponsorship if they are your legal or biological child, not married, and under the age of 22. Children age 22 and older may qualify as dependants if they have a physical or mental condition that prevents them from being able to support themselves and they have depended on their parents for financial support since before age 22.

How do I sponsor my parent or grandparent?

Parents and grandparents can be sponsored through the PGP.

In order to be eligible as a sponsor, you must be aged 18 or older and living in Canada as a citizen or permanent resident throughout the sponsorship process. You may not sponsor your parents or grandparents for immigration through the PGP if you are a temporary resident or if you have a permanent residence application in process.

You must also show proof of income that demonstrates you have the required Minimum Necessary Income (MNI).

The application process including the MNI required to sponsor parents and grandparents changes regularly. Application instructions come from IRCC on an annual basis.

Grandparents and parents who wish to live in Canada as visitors may be eligible for the Super Visa, which allows them to stay for up to five years without needing to renew their status